This project started in 2015 from the collaboration of Spanish brand Ternua and OPEGUI, Guipuzcoa Inshore Fish Producers Organization. The aim was to recover spent fishing nets of fisherman’s guilds of the Basque cities of Bermeo, Getaria and Hondarribia in Spain.

In 2016, the project allowed Ternua to recover 12 tons of abandoned and spent fishing nets with the support of the Basque Government.

Here is where Aquafil participates. The fishing nets recovered were in fact sent to our ECONYL® Regeneration Plant in Slovenia to be transformed into ECONYL® nylon yarn. This was possible thanks to our unique regeneration process that allows transforming the fishing nets and other nylon waste material into regenerated raw material used to make ECONYL® yarn, which is of the same quality as that made from raw material.  Plus, it’s 100% regenerated and infinitely regenerable. So, instead of using oil, as in common nylon, we take 100% pre- and post- consumer waste and give new life to it.

The ECONYL® nylon yarn was then used by Ternua to make two kinds of pants that will be in shops as part of their Autumn-Winter 2018 collection.

For this project and with their RIDE ON pants – made also from regenerated fishing nets – Ternua won the GOLD Industry Award 2017 at the OutDoor Show in Friedrichshafen (Germany). This is the highest prize awarded by a jury of international experts to the world’s most innovative products.


About the pants:


The ideal accessory for all year-round trekking activities. Made from bi-elastic Shell stretch fabric that has a fluorocarbon-free (PFC-free) water-repellent treatment. They are slim fit, and they have pre-formed knees and an adjustable zipped hem so that they can be worn with the widest boots. For both men and women.


They are very comfortable and are ideal for people looking for versatility in a lifestyle pant for casual wear, even when cycling. Made from bi-elastic Shell stretch fabric that has a fluorocarbon-free (PFC-free) water-repellent treatment. They have pre-formed knees and hidden reflective elements, making them safe to wear while cycling. For both men and women.

It is also important to note that 99% of Ternua’s Spring-Summer 2018 products are manufactured with or use Blusign-certified fabrics, GOTS-certified 100% organic cotton, recycled fabrics or natural biodegradable fabrics, and 25% of its SS18 collection are recycled garments. Also, 97% of the SS 18 collection is PFC-free, and the other 3% is PFOA/PFOS-free.

About Ternua:

The Ternua brand is worn by born adventurers with an outdoor spirit who are looking to connect with nature — people who recharge their batteries outdoors wearing versatile, high-performance, technical garments with unique design features that protect them, and at the same time, that protect our planet.