A unique green carpet to celebrate sustainable fashion in Milan
Our ECONYL® yarn was present both as the ingredient of a unique red-green carpet that decorated „Piazza della Scala“ on the 24th of September and is also the yarn used by two of the finalists attending the Awards.
The event was a major success. The first half of it was taking place in the square outside the La Scala theatre. Real grass and real pomegranate trees were placed all around. Among the trees, the green carpet design was also taking inspiration from nature with big pomegranate fruits and birds flying on a green background. Here is where cocktail hour took place and also where all VIP people arriving were photographed. Among the ones walking on the carpet were: Gisele Bundchen, Dakota Johnson, Zoe Saldana, Giorgio Armani, Amber Valletta, Karolina Kurkova, Alessandro Michele (Gucci creative director), Lauren Hutton and of course Livia Firth with Colin Firth.
@livia_firth & #ColinFirth on the stunning #GCFAItalia sustainable #greencarpet made from fishing nets and old carpets! Made by @EgeCarpets with @econylbrand 100% regenerated and infinitely regenerable yarn.. #GCFAItalia @cameramoda @teatroallascala #HandPrintOfFashion #MadeInItaly #MilanFashionWeek #MFW #Innovation#SustainableFashion #Sustainability #Italy #EthicalFashion #Traceability #EthicallyMade #GCC #GreenCarpetChallenge #FashionWithPurpose #Oscarsoffashion #EcoAge #CNMI #LaScala #Milan
The Green Carpet Fashion Awards, Italia 2017 are founded on sustainable values and represent the handprint of fashion. They are the first awards to honor Made in Italy – one of the most important supply chains in the world. The program is designed and implemented by Camera Nazionale della Moda (CNMI), in collaboration with Eco-Age, and with the support of the Ministry of Economic Development (MISE), the Italian Trade Agency (ITA) and the patronage of the Municipality of Milan.
The story and philosophy of the carpet are completely in line with the event and the awards celebrating sustainability in fashion. In fact, the nylon yarn used is produced starting from waste material recovered all over the world. But this is not the end of the story. The carpet is made with regenerated waste material but will not go to a landfill after the event. In fact, it was sent already to Slovenia where it will be reused and then regenerated once again to make new yarn to use for garments and new carpets. Have a look at the short video here below showing the journey of the carpet from waste to regeneration into yarn.
ECONYL® yarn was also the ingredient used by two of the five designers competing at the final stage of the Green Fashion Awards, Italia: CO|TE and Leo Studio Design. We interviewed them, and you can read the interviews on our website.
And here are the winners for the various categories at the event:
- Community and Social Justice: Colin Firth awards Brunello Cuccinelli
- The Art of Craftsmanship: Annie Lennox awards the seamstress of Maison Valentino
- Best International Designer supporting Made in Italy: Anna Wintour awards Tom Ford, Andrew Garfield receive it.
- Technology and Innovation: Miroslava Duma and Derek Blasberg awards Orange Fiber and New Life
- Supply Chain Innovation: Arizona Muse awards Gucci
- Eco-Stewardship: Alessandro Roja awards Zegna
- The Franca Sozzani GCC Award for Best Emerging Designer: Naomi Campbell and Sara Sozzani Maino awards Tiziano Guardini
- Sustainable Producer: Amber Valletta awards Taroni
- The Artisanal Laureate Award: Vittoria Puccini awards Chiara Vigo
- The Social Laureate Award: Stefania Rocca and Bianca Balti awards Ilaria Venturini Fendi
- The Vogue Eco Laureate Award: Emanuele Farneti awards Gisele Bündchen
- The CNMI Recognition of Sustainability: Colin Firth and Alessandro Cattelan awards Giorgio Armani, Miuccia Prada, Pierpaolo Piccioli and Alessandro Michele.